Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Playdate Thursday - Flying Unicorn

Hi everyone! It is Playdate Thursday at the Flying Unicorn and I have a mixed media bottle to share. I have altered an Iced Wine bottle…it is about 14 inches tall. This is to show you how I create texture and color for backgrounds…its basically the same way I do a canvas.
 
The first thing is to give it a coat of Gesso…I have used Golden Gesso. Heat set or let dry.
 

Next I coverd the gesso with a coat of Golden Regular Gel. This is to create a harder coat on top of the gesso and it will not peel off of the bottle. Heat set or let dry.
 
Lets add some more texture with some 13 ARTs Stencils and Golden Molding paste. Heat set or let dry.
My next step I added a thick layer of Finns Crackle Texture Paste…only here and there did I add it. I did not cover up the masking I did on the above step, but want some crackle to show on some areas. Now this takes a while to dry. I think it took about 2 hours for mine to dry naturally. This allows nice crackle affect…so be patient and let air dry.
 
While I waited for my crackle to dry I picked out some embellishments and added a coat of gesso to them. You can heat set these.
 

Here is the crackle all nice and dry….LOVE this crackle paste.
 


 
I now add all of the embellishments to the bottle. The Creative Embelishment clock face folded nicely around the bottle curve. Just hold it in place until the glue sets. I also added a piece of Flying Unicorn Venice Lace around the bottom of the bottle.
 
I used 3 Shimmerz Vibez mists from the Mono and Ocean Tonez sets. I started with the lightest blue, next up was the taupe color and finished it with the darker blue. Heat set between each color…this stops the colors from mixing. I love how it seeps into the crackle.
 
After the above step is all dry….I did some dry brushing with gesso. Dry Brushing is just justing a wider paint brush or fan paint brush. Add a wee bit of gesso and gently stroke over the raised areas on the bottle. I you look at the close up of the lace you can see the colors underneath but the white dry brushing on top. I also did this on the stencil parts.
 
Continue the dry brushing on the flowers and vines. This softens the look.
 
I added a Prima resin bird and added touches of Shimmerz Brass Knuckles Inklingz. I also added wee drops of Inklingz over the bottle and misted a bit with water to let it all drip.
 
That is it! Here is my bottle…you can use as just a decoration or add a single Gerber flower and  use as a vase!





 
Have a great week everyone!
 

Products used:
Golden Gesso, Molding Paste and Gel
Prima Flowers
Finnabair Texture Crackle
13 ART Stencils
Shimmerz Tonez Sets and Inklingz
Creative Embelllishments chippy
 Prima Resin
 Flying Unicorn Venice Lace
http://www.flyingunicornstore.com/category_s/30.htm

 

 

2 comments:

Lizzyc said...

This is gorgeous! Love all the texture and great colors too!

Tina said...

I absolutely LOVE this!! Totally Gorgeous!!